Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Devin Returns To the Dentist

I'm convinced we've hit the dentist jackpot in Louisville. Matt and I love ours and Devin's is outstanding.

We returned today for the treatment of 6 cavities. Devin knew where she was and was not thrilled. Any time the door opened she shrieked & BIG tears started to fall.

*Keep in mind the key was for her to be calm enough to inhale the NO2 & relax.*

So, immediately the Dr. informs me we'll be lucky to get ONE cavity filled today. Dr. Yang reminds me of the "rules." I can stay with Devin as long as she doesn't cry. About 30 seconds into the NO2, she starts screaming. The next step would be for me to step just outside the room.

Dr. Yang looks her in the eye, "Do you want Mama to leave?" Devin screams, "NOOOOO."

"Then you need to stop crying and she can stay."

She stopped almost immediately. *whew*

After about 3 minutes of Nitrous, I can visibly see her start to relax. Dr. Yang returns to begin the process.

Step one was talk to Devin for 5+ minutes. I was so, so impressed. To say this Dr. is busy, is a tremendous understatement. She was 30 minutes behind, with a packed waiting room at 9:15 am. Yet, she still took the time to talk with Devin. We discussed her Peacock costume at length. They told her exactly what was going to happen.

After a few minutes, I was like....let's go ladies. I'm ready to get this over with.

Just as I thought this, Devin interrupted us to say, "I'm having a good time."

That cracked everyone up and she started. (NO2 did the trick!!)

Devin did so awesome, we got 4/6 cavities done. Dr. Yang said she did better than 99% of 2.5 year olds.

We have 2 more to go in mid-December. It takes 6-7 weeks to get in to the Dr., unless it's an emergency. The front 2 are the worst, but the Dr. said not to worry. She'll do her best, then they'll fall out sometime in the next 2.5 yrs.

Permanent teeth are sealed right away, which is good news. All of her new teeth are looking good and Dr. Yang said we're doing a good job. (Very little juice, no fruit snacks EVER and more cheese)

No comments: