Tuesday, August 26, 2008

First Day of Preschool

I will go back and post about our trip to Peoria this weekend. We really had a nice time...

Also, we're wishing Ray the best for his foot surgery. It's hard to watch someone you care about in pain.

Ok...so we made it through the 1st day of preschool. Barely.

We arrived to a room full of screaming 2 year olds. I think Dev was so overwhelmed, she did not understand I was leaving. (Since I walked away with no tears) Apparently, she cried a majority of the 2 hours. Only pausing for music, circle time, and clean up. The teacher reported she sang the "Clean Up-Clean Up" song and was a great helper. (This is something she's familiar with from Gymboree)

They called us at 10:56 to let us know Dev was ready to go...

She only needs to make it to 11:15 for a "full" day. When I arrived, she was actually playing with the play kitchen and not crying.

Our plan is to shorten the next few trips, before she gets really upset. It seems like once she's in a really upset "zone," combined with getting tired/hungry, she just can't pull it back together. Usually, once Dev is familiar with a routine and the people...she participates 110%. I remember Gymboree was challenging at first.

I spoke with the teacher again on the phone this afternoon. We both feel Devin will adjust over time. I already know she's slow to adjust to new situations, but Miss Noelle feels it will just take time. Also, she only goes 2x per week, which means it can take a while to get the swing of things.

We took her for Sushi and she seemed perfectly happy.

Several times today she's told me, "Preschool is fun." Um, ok. Then, maybe next time we can try crying just a bit less. Those teachers earned every penny today.

No comments: