Thursday, April 30, 2009

Derby and other unrelated stuff

It's Derby Week in the 'Ville. Matt took the week off and Dev's got a nasty respiratory bug. She's running a 100-101.5 fever when the medicine wears off and very hoarse. (Lots of coughing, low energy, etc...) So that's a bummer. We were going to do some fun things together this week.

Oh well.

We're tackling the guest 1/2 bath this week, with a DIY project. This is our 10th year in our house and it's needing some updates. Obviously, the kitchen took up this year's budget. So, any further cosmetic updates need to be DIY. I was so sick of staring at the "golf" bathroom. It was cute, since we're on a golf course. But, I want something a bit more....classy?

I mean, my entire home just exhudes class.

-Dried up pladoh ground into the carpet
-Formal dining room turned playroom, which usually looks an F-4 tornado went though it
-Various stuffed animals strewn pretty much everywhere
-A mini trampoline in my family room

The list goes on and on....

But, nothing is easy with this house. And that didn't change when I started removing the wallpaper.

There's not much to remove, but of course they didn't prep the wall. Just glued it right to the wallboard. Thanks! So, there are spots of damaged drywall...like where it looks like cardboard.
And, we had to take apart the toilet to dry and remove the paper from behind.

*sigh*

So, now I'm looking at lots of sanding and priming. And, probably a textured type of paint to hide some of the flaws in the wall. Luckily, some of the worst damage is not in obvious places.

The vegetable garden is coming along nicely. I need to get some Week 2 pictures.

In Devin news...she's basically asking non-stop questions these days. It's both amusing and exhausting at the same time. By 9:00 am, I've usually been asked more than 50 questions. It depends on her mood. And, she doesn't accept simple (blow off) answers.

Here's a sampling. I jot them down from time to time.

"Why Baxter not talk to me?"

"Why don't shoes talk?"

"Why Caillou doesn't have hair?"

"Can I take all my toys to Sophie's house?"

"Do frogs have teeth? Do they have paws?"

"Where are the cars' privates?"

"What does the middle/center mean?"

"Why is ice cold?"

"Can we get a puppy?"

Also, her imagination is going wild these days. Her roll call of "friends" is getting longer. I was introduced to, "Colin." Now, Colin helps her with various things...one of them being "Mexico Candy." I have no idea what she's talking about.

If you're keeping track:

-Her #1 imaginary friend is Gaugin. Gaugin is sometimes a boy, sometimes a girl and basically seems to reflect things Devin likes.

-Bran, Fahkin and Em-a-em are usually her "student." She teaches and shows them stuff.

-Colin is new...we'll see if he/she lasts.

She's at a very cute (albeit testy) stage right now. She will ask for help and scream at you for helping within the same breath.

No comments: