Sunday, September 23, 2012

6 Weeks In

Somehow, 6 weeks has already passed since school started. I didn't think time could go any faster than it did this summer, but I was wrong. Devin is continuing to "love" school and has adjusted to the elementary program nicely. We're certainly seeing more traditional "work" coming home...spelling lists, math problems and science research. We still see some sewing work and she tells me about doing geography puzzles and working on "stories" with some of the older children. I think the influence of the older kids has been good for Dev. She's currently obsessed with cursive handwriting and doing handstands, both something her favorite 3rd grader in class can do.  She wrote this anagram for her friend, I love that the "a's" both equal "outstanding."

(d=delightful, i=I love her, n=Birthday in November)
Photobucket

Dev is still very connected to her "old" friends, who make up the 10 1st graders in class.  She wrote this "story" for them last night.

Photobucket


This week brought the first Field Trip for Dev's class.  Of course, I was happy to chaperone so I could take lots of pictures get an official tour of Huber's Farm.

I think she was most excited about the long bus ride.
Photobucket

I loved seeing the older children, take care of the younger ones.
Photobucket

There were white pumpkins. Photobucket

We saw how they make Apple Cider.
Photobucket

Apples Photobucket

Our school's apple!
 Photobucket


Each student could pick 5 apples from the orchard.  Devin and her good friend "C" were the first done!
Photobucket


Then, it was time for Pumpkin picking!  They each could choose a small pumpkin to take home.
Photobucket

Picking pumpkins was tough!
Photobucket

And, this Bamboo Maze was even tougher.  I think Devin was lost in there for 30 minutes.
Photobucket

This was not a small course to pedal around.  By the end of the field trip, the kids were happy and exhausted.  We had a great day!

Photobucket


No comments: